Friday, March 6, 2009

Tequila Salmon with Mexican Truffle



On saturday 3/7, I will be participating in a charity event called "The Glass Slipper Ball". I figured this would be the perfect time to showcase one of my new dishes. The dish is a tequila glazed salmon with a warm salad of fava beans, heirloom tomatoes, and roasted corn. A dollop of "mexican truffle" butter is placed on top to melt into the fish. A lot of people have never heard of "mexican truffle", which is also called huitlacoche. Huitlacoche is a fungus that grows on the outside of the ears of corn during drought season. It has a dark black color with sweet and smokey flavors. You can usually find it in most markets as a canned product. I will be sauteeing some garlic and shallot in canola oil and then adding the truffle to reduce and cook out the liquid. After spicing up the flavor with some cumin, cayenne, and salt it's cooled completely. Once it has cooled, it will be mixed with softened butter and freshly chopped cilantro. The dish is vibrant in color and is loaded with bold flavors. Hopefully the 350 guests sampling this dish will enjoy it as much as I have developing each component.

1 comment:

SchnooBurger's said...

Think you can let me know next time u have a job opening. Man I miss those days of getting to play with all the fun food and extra events.