Thursday, March 24, 2011

Face Bacon

Here is a dish that I've been wanting to do for quite awhile and finally just started the process.  I had a really fresh pigs head delivered from a local farm on Wednesday and starting my "face bacon" today. There are tons of little hairs on the pigs head so we use a blow torch to burn them off. Then we remove the face with a sharp knife starting at the jaw and working all the way around the skull. I only used the tip of the boning knife to avoid any large mistakes. It's best to use the natural weight to peel off the face cleanly. To remove the tongue, split the jaw with a cleaver and use a boning knife to cut away. Next I toasted some fennel seeds, mustard seeds, and cardamon over high heat and ground up in a coffee grinder. The spices were mixed with salt, sugar, espellette powder, lemon zest, garlic, shallows, herbs, and oil. The pigs head and tongue were rubbed thoroughly to marinate overnight in the cooler. Tomorrow I will begin round two which involves butcher's twine, sous vide, poaching, and chilling. 





No comments: