Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 New Trends???



What are the trends going to be in 2009??? This is always the question in January each year for chefs. So who is capable of making such a decision and what will be the new trends for 2009? Who knows what they're going to be with all the "Jetsons" food in restaurants today and space age equipment that can freeze batter to -95 degrees in 2 seconds flat. Based on my experiences and research here are my predictions for 2009. Hopefully the economy will come out of it's hole and not run from it's shadow because we could all use the break.

  • Beer and food pairings – Beer Sommeliers are becoming extremely popular


  • Shared menu items – Appetizer platters are going to be a big seller with the tight economy, people would rather split appetizers than buy individuals


  • Local and organic produce – People are more aware of supporting local farms and eating natural


  • Super fruits like wolfberry and mangosteen – The health craze isn’t going to stop and I think these super fruits will start to appear in soups, sauces and desserts


  • Smaller portions – Petite desserts have already started show up on menus but I think the trend will spread to trio of appetizers or entrees


  • Chef Classes – Since guests have been introduced to the food network, they are hungry for information and want to learn (Chef classes are a great way to make money without spending too much)

  • Cheaper Cuts of Meats – With the economy suffering, who can afford to buy beef tenderloin? I think chef’s will become innovative with cheap cuts like brisket or pork butt

  • Gluten Free Restaurants - There has been a major increase in the amount of gluten free products I've had to prepare over the last year. It's only time before someone starts opening up these restaurants


2 comments:

Jackie said...

Your trip to the Beard house sounds like an awesome experience and I know you loved it! The pictures are awesome. I am so proud of you. But, then again, I always am.

Love, Aunt Jackie

Suzanne said...

What can I say? I am so very proud of you and your accomplishments. Plus you're kinda cute - must run in the family. :)

Love you,
Aunt Sue