Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Squash Blossoms


I picked some beautiful squash blossoms out of the garden yesterday and brought them to the kitchen to play around with an idea I had for a starter course. I've been challenged to create a vegetarian menu that showcases some culinary techniques and I thought what's more perfect than starting with an unusual vegetable/flower. I removed the stem end with a sharp knife and exposed the hollow center of the flower. After rinsing the insides and removing the center, I filled each blossom with a goat cheese that had been spiced with chipotles, roasted garlic, caramelized onions, and cumin. The stuffed blossoms were dusted with corn starch and dipped into some beaten eggs. I deep fried them at 350 degrees for about 3 minutes and seasoned with a pinch of salt. The result was an amazing vegetarian course that would satisfy and carnivore and impress any herbivore.

1 comment:

Craftwood Inn said...

MMMMmmmmm.... I'm gonna have to try some!