Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mini Puffy Taco

After noticing some masa harina (ground corn flour) lying on the shelf, I decided to make some fresh tortilla dough. After mixing the 3 cups of flour with 2 cups of warm water and a pinch of salt, I rolled the dough into small rounds. I then placed the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and pressed each one flat with a large saute pan. The masa dough was deep-fried at 350 degrees until golden brown and puffy. Towards the end of the cooking process, I used a pair of tongs to squeeze the tortilla together forming a taco shell. The filling was ground beef with ancho chiles, wild mushrooms, pico de gallo, and queso fresco. A dollop of sour cream was placed underneath to stabilize the taco and also give that extra touch of richness. This dish is familiar to me from living in San Antonio, Texas and having discussions with my wife about how good they were. She was so upset when I told her that I made some tonight at the restaurant and most likely would end up eating a few for dinner. Fresh tortillas are great and this is an easy recipe for anyone to follow. Maseca can be purchased at most grocery stores in the Latin foods aisle for a few dollars.

1 comment:

BHenion said...

Puffy Taco! Right on!